Sunday, August 30, 2015

Keep the Sabbath Day Holy

God, in his mercy and love for us, set aside one day to rest from our labors. Sunday sabbath day observance is part of my cancer treatment plan.  On Sunday, I spend time with family, visit with friends, read scriptures, and rest. It is a day to strengthen my connection with God. However, lately it has been a challenge to attend church meetings.

While seated in sacrament meeting, I often ponder the meaning of my life. I've been struggling with my purpose and direction. I have not been able to find a job for most of this year. I closed my eyes, and a scene opened up in front of me. I saw a lonely hillside like this picture in my minds eye. The ground is covered in grass and short shrubs. My prayers and contemplation reveal little that I understand and sometimes the images are disturbing.

My daughter received her Young Woman Medallion today. She completed her young woman personal progress. She completed this early since she is still 14 years old. This award recognizes her worthiness and completion of all the Personal Progress requirements. She has committed to keeping the commandments, serving others, and developing and sharing her gifts and talents. She has been a good example of keeping the sabbath day holy.

We had an open house and many of the other young women, leaders and neighbors came over for a visit. Elena shared the various projects that she completed for her personal progress. She helped prepare dinner meals for the family for 2 weeks, helped clear a large tree from our yard and made her own staff from a branch of that tree, and composed a musical piece for performance. It was a very nice feeling in the room and I was touched by the love and fellowship. I recognize how important it is to love your neighbors, to serve them and to stay vigilant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment