Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Life on Carterville Park

I live in a great neighborhood. A quiet peaceful place where you know almost everyone's name. There is a spacious park that has pavilions, bar-b-q racks, volleyball net, track, open space for pickup games of football. You see almost everyone at church on Sunday. People care and notice when you are struggling and often offer support and help to keep you going.

Sunday, a kindly couple came to share counsel. They took an hour to come over and share their experiences and how they handled a situation similar to mine. It was comforting and by the time they were to leave, I wanted to give them both a hug. I felt uplifted and inspired. Later in the day, my bishop dropped by for a visit. We pulled up a couple of chairs on the front porch and I talked...a lot. He listened and asked me a few questions like, "Where do you turn for comfort?" I paused a moment and thought about it and I answered that I turned to friends and family. I pointed out that I have some exceptional neighbors. I talked about how grateful I was for many of the kindnesses shown to me and related how I had been able to do the same for many of them as well. I shared that I posted a lot of my feelings on a blog and shared it on Facebook. I mentioned that it was interesting to receive encouragement and comfort from high school friends. I told him how astonished I was at the love and consideration shown to me while I was fighting cancer. There are so many opportunities to do good if we just give ourselves and others a chance. 

Sometimes, we aren't given much of a chance. We start with good intentions to serve in a job and before we do anything, we are kicked out the door. Other times we are minding our own business and someone steals our identity. We all at one time or another get kicked, harassed and embarrassed. My faith in God and his word has been strengthened. We all need something to believe in to make it. I realize how important it is to stay the course, do not despair. Jesus Christ has suffered all things for us and he does not leave us without comfort. I pray, read scriptures, write in a personal journal and above all I talk to friends and family. I hope I'm half as good a listener as I am a talker.

No comments:

Post a Comment