Friday, August 7, 2015

March of the Patriarchs

I lay on my Laz-boy chair and I can barely stay awake. I can barely stay conscious as I listen to my mother, sister and aunt converse around me. I feel like I'm dying, it is dark. As my mother gets up to leave the room, my vision opens up to the farm back home in Oregon. The sunshine is streaming down and there is a gentle breeze in the air. I feel tears flowing from my eyes and my mother takes notice and asks if I'm okay. She wonders if I'm sad that she is leaving. I start to narrate what I see.

Tables that are hundreds of feet long are covered with white satin table cloths. There are silver plate settings with delicious foods placed in the center. Seated at the tables are scores of family members spanning generations. The living and the dead meeting together for a grand family reunion. All are dressed in fine linen of the whitest color and softest texture. There is a dais with thrones and standing are men of great knowledge, righteousness and power. Their faces radiate a calm certainty and joy. One is holding a large scroll and another displays small stones of curious texture. They speak with wondrous words that fill my soul with joy. I feel love and a presence that cannot be denied.

When the meal concludes, I look up and notice that the sky is overcast with clouds. As sunlight dims, light comes up from the ground. Everyone gathers in circles of six and dance in a choreographed progression until everyone has faced one another. Words are not spoken but communication is expressed through movement and gestures. There are introductions, life stories, and expressions of love. Each generation is connected to the next with a special reckoning. My heart burns with rapture. I understand answers to many questions. Many share similar struggles and joys. We join together in a long line of associations that enriches our shared experiences. All united in a joyful celebration of love, life and fidelity.

Once the dancing concludes, a reverent hush falls. One of the patriarchs opens a scroll and reads from it aloud. His words are inspiring and fill my heart with pronouncements and admonitions. He shares stories of long ages past, and forgotten lore. A gathering will occur on this land to bring together my family. I bow my head and say a simple prayer, "let it be so."

No comments:

Post a Comment