Sunday, August 17, 2014

You're Not Alone Walk with God

The loneliness and isolation is hard. While everyone else is off to get something to eat at a restaurant or those early morning hours staying awake and waiting for the sunrise. It gave me a lot of time to think. I perused Facebook, seeing how much fun everyone was having and I'm stuck in a chair in pain. I reached out in prayer to my savior Jesus Christ many times a day and night. When it got really hard, I felt comforted and strengthened. I know there was family and friends praying for me. God loves us, cares for us and holds out open arms to receive us. We just have to do the same to Him. I open the scriptures and read about others who have been in tough spots and they have always been helped in some way. I know that this experience has taught me a lot. It has given me a perspective about what it feels like to be in pain and fearing what may come next.

I was grateful for my wife, Kelly. She had to pick up a lot of slack while I was down. Managing a household of 3 young girls and making sure everyone got to school on time and that I arrived for my next chemo treatment or doctor visit. She soon realized that she would have to manage our bills and make sure everything was paid on time. I felt a little bit like a pet, since I had to be provided water and food when I couldn't navigate the stairs.

To my mother who even in her own difficulty and struggles, takes a few minutes each day to talk to me on the phone and traveled a few thousand miles to visit me. My sister Lynell, who gave me advice and encouragement having had her own successful cancer remission. Marion Baxter, a cousin that has always been there when I needed her help.

I'm thankful for Patti Bolton, a friend from high school that sent me cards in the mail with words of encouragement. Richard Russon who encouraged me to transform a piece of barren backyard into a garden space. Kathy the nurse practitioner who visited me and answered my questions and quieted my fears. The nurses at the Central Utah Clinic that helped me during those long hours getting Chemo treatments. Dr. Eric Vogel, my dentist and friend who gave me courage to keep fighting the cancer. Steve and Betsy Williams who give assistance and friendship over many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment